Let's learn English

Điều hành viên: big_wings

Let's learn English

Bài viết chưa xemgửi bởi Over » Thứ 2 Tháng 4 16, 2007 11:52 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm not sure whether there is someone who is interested in the english stuff I'm learning. Anyway, I'd like to share with you my knowledge and I hope someone will join in here and discuss or help me... :-P
To be honest, my English is not very good (it usually ends up with 10 or 11 points/15p). However, I've never hated this subject. :-P

Here are the topics I have to deal with:

- 1. Semester: contemporary issues:
Current political and social issues

- 2. Semester: National and Cultural identity
Overcoming prejudices in society, Ethnic diversity

- 3. Semester: One World - Global Issues:
The challenge of globalisation, Saving the planet, Getting a fair deal

- 4. Semester: Individual and Society:
Personal relations in their social context, aims and ambitions

I guess, the focus of my coming exam will be the 3rd semester which is about Globalization or Immigration to USA.
If you are interested in these topics, please read the following materials:

Globalization:
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147 ... ion_01.jpg

Immigration:
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147 ... ion_01.jpg

By the way, if you are interested in which we are usually asked in a exam or how my exam "looks like", please look at the following file:
Bạn không được cấp phép để xem tập tin đính kèm trong bài viết này.
New Start
Over
Tí ta tí tởn
Tí ta tí tởn

Bài viết: 562
Ngày tham gia: Thứ 7 Tháng 2 25, 2006 11:05 am
Đến từ: Germany

Bài viết chưa xemgửi bởi Over » Thứ 6 Tháng 4 20, 2007 3:19 am

Yesterday, after a very long conversation with my kind-hearted English teacher, I decided to concentrate on the following aspects:

1. Improving my writing skill in the following fields:

+ writing:
- summary
- comment
- characterization

+ analizing/ comparing:
- stylistic devices
- statistics and charts

2. Studying the following topics:

- Problems of immigration in different countries, ethnic conflicts
- Globalization (economic, cultural aspects; developing and developed countries), globalization - chance or threat?
- problems of environment referring to the global economic development

After a while of considering I had decided to list all the task fields I might be asked in the exam. So I wrote a collection of all possibilities. It is firstly for me to remind everything and then to introduce you how my exam is going.
The more you write and use English, the better your skill will be! :-P
New Start
Over
Tí ta tí tởn
Tí ta tí tởn

Bài viết chưa xemgửi bởi Over » Thứ 6 Tháng 4 20, 2007 3:20 am

Task field I:

In my exam the first task always belongs to the category of reproduction (that means you should show your understanding of the text by summarize it.) and it amounts 30% of the total evaluation.

Here you always have to read a text which you've never known before. It’s usually an article from a newspaper or an extract of a novel, drama or short story. After reading you are asked either to give an account/ outline of the given text, to describe one matter or to summarize/ sum up the information given in the text.

Examples:

- Give an account of / outline the conversation between the mother and her teenage daughter.
- Describe the living conditions in 2054 as depicted in the text.
- Summarize/ sum up the information given in the text in no more than … words.

Suggested solutions:

Dealing with these tasks, you should give the main feartures, structure or general principles of a topic omitting minor details. Do not give your own opinion or interpretation! (Sometimes I forget this note. :-P)
Besides, you should use your own words, do not stole the words from the original text.
In order to avoid the case pupils write too much, in a summary the number of words is mostly limited by about a third of the original length.

Task field II:

The second task usually asks you to have a closer look to the given text which is called: “text analysing”. It also makes up 30%.
These tasks are identified by the key words such as: show/ point out how…, decribe the way/ the means through which…, analyze, compare, explain, contrast…
They require your skills in analysing stylistics devices, statistics and charts, characterization etc.

Examples:

- Show how atmosphete is created.
- Describe the way the playwright creates an atmosphere of suspense.
- Stylistic devices: analyze the structural and stylistic devices used by the author and their effect on the readership.
- Introducing statistics and charts: compare the graph and the text.
- Characterization: write a brief sketch of A’s character and analyse the means used to describe him/her.

Suggested solutions:
- In a analysis or characterization you should name and interpret specific aspects and features of the text and their effect on the audience/ reader.
- If the task asks you to compare two things, you should point out their similarities and differences.

Task field III:

This field is the most important part (40% in total). Here you have many choices.
Either you choose the task in which you have to discuss or comment on an aspect or you choose a creative task.

Examples:

- discuss / comment on:

+ Comment on the protagonist’s view of immigration in USA and compare it to other countries.
+ Discuss A’s situation and compare it to that of another outsider from your knowledge of history, films or literature.
+ Consider the pros and cons of TV as presented in the text.
+ Give your opinion on the main character’s way…

- creative tasks:

+ Write a letter to your friend or to a committee. Here is the address: ….
+ You have to design a poster/ a brochure for a book or a project. Describe how you do it, what should be pointed out and how your poster looks like.
+ You have to organize a talkshow about a topic. Who would you invite? How are their perspectives? Explain your choices. Make clear your expected and intended process of the discussion and ist effects on the addressees.

- suggested solutions:

In a comment you should write about the subject by carefully presenting various points with suporting evidence and conclude with your personal view.
In a creative task, I have no idea, it's up to your fantasy. :D Close your eyes and... dream. :D
New Start
Over
Tí ta tí tởn
Tí ta tí tởn

Bài viết chưa xemgửi bởi Over » Thứ 3 Tháng 4 24, 2007 12:26 am

Here are some work sheets given by my teacher I think they could be useful for someone who are preparing for an English exam. Therefore I post them on here for those who have the same situation like me may need. I hope it can help a bit. :-P

How to write a characterization?
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147 ... ation1.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147 ... zation.jpg

Stylistic devices:
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147 ... listic.jpg

statistics and charts analysis:
http://manage.lisum.de/Inhalte/Data/unt ... 6559564696

Film analysis
http://manage.lisum.de/Inhalte/Data/unt ... 7110790226

Today, I had my English exam. Everything was out of control. :-P
I’ve come to realize that you don’t need to learn for your English or German exam, it just confuses your mind because they will never ask the stuff you learnt but the stuff you’ve never expected. :))

Let me tell you about what I’ve experienced today. :-P

The most frightful and unlucky thing happened to me is that I couldn’t sleep a bit in the night before the exam. I cannot understand why I always get scared at the wrong time. Two days ago I was completely “normal”, it seemed that the exam is not a big deal. But suddenly when I need to sleep most I couldn’t close my eyes. No, my eyes were closed but my head couldn’t rest. It was a mess with incomprehensible thoughts. I tried to sleep by counting sheep: 1, 2, 3... 100... 200 sheep... Oh my gosh, it didn’t work at all. :(
In addition, I had to cough the whole night. I ate too much ice-cream on these warming days. Consequently, not only my head danced but my neck also sang all the time. I swear that I’ll never eat any ice before an exam.
Tik tak, 6:00 am, I decided to end up my sleepless night by taking a bath to relax and refresh myself. It helped a bit. When I came back to my room, a glass of fresh orange juice had been put on my table. Mom made it for me. I couldn’t believe it. Mom and dad are always busy, so thing like today is really rare. Therefore I felt undescribablely happy. It’s really a sweet feeling when you are cared by someone. :-P My little brother gave me his loved watch, so that I can manage time better. A bit later I got a msg from my dear Teacher: “You can do everything!” those words encouraged me a lot. At least I feel that I need to be stronger. :-P Yeah... Mom, Teacher and Brother, thank you all very much!

The exam begins at 10:00 am, I still have an hour to stay at home. Probably, happiness made me feel asleep, so I closed my eyes and tried to sleep for 30 min. I woke up a bit later than I had planned. But I could still get to the exam on time if there was no traffic trouble! I lost 30 min at the tram station and reached my school right at 10:00, whereas I have to be there at 9:30 to sign some formulars. My teachers were all worried about me when they didn’t see me present. Especially, my maths teacher, he tried to call me but my mobile was out. Looking out of the window he saw me running into the school. He screamed, oh my God, I was shocked, worried and scared. I was afraid that I made my teacher angry. Enter into the exam room, all my schoolmates looked at me. It was so embarrassed. My English teacher held my faces which was as red as the sun she tried to calm me down and gave me the tasks.
New Start
Over
Tí ta tí tởn
Tí ta tí tởn

Bài viết chưa xemgửi bởi Over » Thứ 3 Tháng 4 24, 2007 12:27 am

I got 2 topics, and had to choose one of them.
My English teacher and I guessed that the topics could be globalization or immigration or maybe environmental problems, because they are actual corcerning global issues. Yeah, I learnt and learnt about the problems of immigration, about positive and negative aspects of globalization... And now, looking at the tasks my eyes are round, they wanted to fall out... On one sheet, the topic is about bringing modern technology into under – developed countries and the other is about the problem of brain drain faced by the developing countries.

The tasks dealing with IT into poor countries seems to be easier but I chose the topic of brain drain. I guess, my head didn’t work properly. In a normal case I would choose the other one but in the condition of half-dead half-alive, my mind wanted to be challenged. :)) To be honest I’m very interested in the question of coming back to homeland of some people who trained in a developed country.
Yes, in my topic there was an excerpt called “Diary of a journey back” you can find it under this link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4884868.stm . It’s a story about Mary Ntata, a nurse who trained in the UK and is currently living in Coventry, a city of England. After her travel to Malawi, she decides to come back to help her people despite of extremly bad conditions in her homeland.
My first task was to summary her experiences in Malawi. The second task was to explain her feeling and analyse the stylistic devices used to present them. They are no problem at all. Unfortunately, I stand confusing before the last task. There were 3 possibilities:

The first possibility is like following: in the role of a developing country’s goverment, you should design a poster to appeal young people who are working in a developed country to come back to help their homeland. Describe your design and plan.
Second: write an article for your school magazin and discuss about the problem which is expressed in the given text and compare to the similar cases you know.
Third: discuss Mary’s decision and compare to a case of an fiction or non-fiction character in a story or a film you know.

I’m confused between the second and third choice. I prefer the third but I don’t know any character who has the same situation as Mary. So I asked my teacher whether I can write about a person I know... She gave me the advice, just claim that it’s someone you read in a story or somewhere. :)) Well, once I heard my dad telling about a Vietnamese man named Pham Hong Quang or Le Hong Quang. (I’m not sure whether his name is correct or I was mistaken with someone else. :-S) He is very talented and got a sholarship to study in USA. After his study, admiring his talent US goverment wanted him to stay but he still decided for VN and was killed in the airplane...
That’s what I wrote in the exam. Until now I can’t believe that I could make a such choice, maybe just with an insane head like today. :D However, my biggest concern is the language. I’m afraid I made many stupid mistakes and the expression was clumsy.
4 hours fighting without break, water, food (I forgot my water bottle and food at home.;( ) and even forgot to go to toilet, I finished my work with about 1400 words.

It was the most horrible exam I’ve ever had. At home, mom asked me how my exam was. I told her it was very bad. Unlike my expectation, she was not angry a bit but advised me to do better in the next exams. My best girl friend was waiting for me, she consoled me a lot. Oh I like her so much. Then I sleep so deeply as I’ve never slept before.

Generally speaking, I’m not so content with my exam. Actually, I could do it better. But it’s over now, and I won’t loose my nerve cells for crying over the spilt milk. I already lost a lot of brain because of the sleepless night.
In some respects, I’m happy for realizing that many people are staying by my side: my mom, my brother, my best girl friend and my teachers. They are all so kind-hearted to me and I’m proud that I tried my best, at least not fall asleep during the exam. :))

Now I have to say good bye to you guys in this topic and concentrate on my exams in maths and chemistry. :-P
New Start
Over
Tí ta tí tởn
Tí ta tí tởn

Re: Let's learn English

Bài viết chưa xemgửi bởi bricejohn896 » Thứ 7 Tháng 7 07, 2012 2:35 pm

It’s good to see that this one is nice way to learn English 1tour travel.
bricejohn896
Thành viên mới
Thành viên mới

Bài viết: 1
Ngày tham gia: Thứ 7 Tháng 7 07, 2012 2:32 pm

Quay về Học các môn khác

Ai đang trực tuyến?

Đang xem chuyên mục này: Không có thành viên nào đang trực tuyến1 khách